Pages

Friday 27 December 2013

Uganda to Chile

So after my trip to Uganda I decided that I would get more into Creek boating and river running. I brought a Zet Veloc (awesome boat). I was working for PGL in the Ardeche over the summer and thought I might be able to get a bit of boating in over there. I tried to get to the Alps once but we crashed the car on the way up there, so that plan failed! Luckily I managed to do some flat water playboating on the Ceze river right next to the center. I also brushed up on my open boat skills leading school groups down the Ardeche gorge. Plus the party lifestyle is great there! At the end of the season my canoe club  joined me so we went to the Allier to do a bit of grade 3/4 paddling in the sun that was enjoyable. I enjoyed PGL so much I have decided to go again for a full season next summer.
It was here in France that I first decided I would like to join in on a trip to Chile in the new year.
When I returned from France I decided I would need a bit of practice at some steeper rivers so headed off to North Wales for 10 days to see some college friends that are now in Bangor Uni living an outdoorsy lifestyle.
Unfortunately the rivers were pretty low the entire time we were there but we had some fun running some waterfalls and slides that can be run in low water. Of course there is always the might river Tryweryn that is dam released. While I was there we ran Pont Cyfyng falls and Swallow falls that were both great fun introduction to waterfalls and slides!
After this trip I took up a job as a groundwork laborer to earn some dollar for my next trip.
On the weekends I traveled to Dartmoor to run the Upper Dart  and other rivers.
Me and Jacob decided we needed a bit more waterfall practice before we headed to Chile so we went to hit up the Mellte in South Wales. This is another great introduction to waterfall running with some other great pool drop rapids.
I have also been trying to do a bit of play boating to keep a balance and brought the new Wavesport Mobius, I love this boat! I tried it at the Hurley classic and decided strait away it was the one to buy. It was a great event. I didn't do so well in the freestyle as I was pretty rusty. I did however get trough to the finals of the Boater X and came 4th out of about 40 or 50 paddlers, which I was very pleased about as there were some world class paddlers there.
I had a great Christmas and now it's time for me to head off to Pucon, Chile! I will be there for 2 months traveling around to all the great rivers including the Futaleufu. I should be able to post updates on here and on Facebook so keep an eye out!
Thanks for reading!





No comments:

Post a Comment